The Intel IoT Invitational Instructable Contest was extended a few times. It closed monday 9Nov. Our entry for the AINA: Field Lab Using Edison IoT was successfully submitted and is garnering interest (1400+ views in about 1 day). The project proved out several of its goals, found some issues with the Edison/Bluetooth, and leaves many options for ruggedization and enhancement.
Some of the major issues to be addressed:
- Bluetooth activation and pairing seems to require console access (command line tools) on the Edison. Rather silly for an embedded device with no or minimal human interface.
- Grove connectors and cables are not adequate for outdoor use
- Proper housing of a field lab unit has many issues not addressed in the project
- weather protection of electronics
- exposure of sensors to elements they need to test
- ventilation while protecting from flora and fauna (geckos, bugs, mold, etc)
Please check out the instructable and Vote for it before Nov 12!